Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome!

Welcome all ye who enter this site and these forums, for you are not lost.

I am Salty Ben, one of the team that has worked hard, in our scant spare time, to bring this project to you - Critical Snail Studios. There's plenty of text on the website that tells you about who we are trying to be, this thread is for you to tell us who you are and what you expect from us.

I am a father, a husband, a commuter, and an employee and the way I spend my spare time is important to me. My expectations are that the games I play, the books I read, the ideas I ponder are interesting, authentic and are worth the investment I put into them. This is an important part of the identity that Critical Snail wants to have, and the relationship that we want to have with you, the customers, fans and observers. That relationship exists to serve you and is the largest reason we host these forums. This will be a place, like many other hobby forums, where you can gather with friends, make new friends and discuss Critical Snail games (and others I'm sure), and just geek out about the things you love. The difference between this "corporate monitoring forum" and what you might see on other companies' websites, is that we (the designers, creators, and managers) want to interact with you, listen to feedback, hear complaints (and hopefully a compliment or two), and have an open line of communications with you, the audience.

To wrap this up: Welcome, make yourselves at home, and let's start building this community to share our passions for gaming and general geekery :)

~Salty Ben
Critically Briny

Comments

• I'm Rob the lead game designer for Critical Snail Studios (ominous drum roll). Like Ben I'm a husband and work a regular corporate cube job but my true and life long passion is gaming.

We hope you'll feel completely welcome hanging out here with us. Talking about our game and others. We want to learn from you, laugh with you, and give you our best game possible.

Cheers!

Rob
    Lead Designer
    Critical Snail Studios
  • I am always excited to find new tabletop miniatures rule sets; however, I never make a purchase unless I actually have some details about the game. I hope you consider this constructive criticism, but your current pitch for the game is essentially worthless. All I really know about the rules beyond the page count (some of which is fiction) is that it is a sci-if game using d10s, and there are 12 army lists and 4 scenarios in the book. This does not really provide any differentiator between Agressor and any other rule set.

What is the game about? Ground combat, aerial combat, space combat, etc.?

What scales are supported? 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, etc.?

What is the format of combat? Skirmish, squad-level, company-level, etc.?

What types of units are supported? Infantry, armor, aerial, artillery, etc.?

How many miniatures are required for a typical game?

What is a typical game length?

What makes your rules set tactically deep? Why is it easy to learn? How is it challenging to master?

What makes it different and better from the myriad other rule sets available?

Sell me on why I should buy your 150 page, black and white rulebook instead on paying a little more for a full color Warzone rulebook or even $25 more for a Deadzone boxed set with miniatures and terrain included.

More info is definitely required if you want to sell your book. Even a PDF preview showing the table of contents and some sample pages would be helpful. Maybe send a comp copy to a respected reviewer so they can post a review somewhere. Good luck on promoting this.
  • edited August 2016
    Hi Zarathud and Welcome!

I'm going to answer all of the questions you posed but before I do just a bit of background. We've been so heavily working on this game and getting it just in to a state of release that we honestly didn't have a lot of what you're asking about on our minds. We're playing catch up right and we will catch up! So on to the answers you seek! Answers are in the next post:
    Rob
    Lead Designer
    Critical Snail Studios
  • edited August 2016
    Zarathud said:

"What is the game about? Ground combat, aerial combat, space combat, etc.?"

Aggressor: Recon is a ground combat game. We have far reaching plans to introduce a set of space battle rules that will work in tandem with the ground combat rules but that is far down the road.
    Zarathud said:

"What scales are supported? 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, etc.?"

The game is written for 28mm heroic scale. We may add a supplement down the road that converts distances and stats for smaller scales.
    Zarathud said:

"What is the format of combat? Skirmish, squad-level, company-level, etc.?"

Squad-level skirmish in the vein of 40k. Large point value games could start to approach the level of a single company.
    Zarathud said:

"What types of units are supported? Infantry, armor, aerial, artillery, etc.?"

Infantry, Armor, Artillery, Orbital weapons. No direct air support yet.
    Zarathud said:

"How many miniatures are required for a typical game?"

A game can be played with as little as three units (A command and two regulars) but we recommend for maximum enjoyment and variation a force of between six and ten units. Miniature count (varies greatly by faction) between 30 and 60 figures.
    Zarathud said:

"What is a typical game length?"

With a force of the above size two players that have a basic understanding of the rules should wrap up in 3 hours. New players that have to refer to the book a lot is going to add to that or if the force sizes are larger or smaller it can vary.
    Zarathud said:

"What makes your rules set tactically deep? Why is it easy to learn? How is it challenging to master?"

The game is all about choices. Instead of working set phases (Movement Phase, Shooting Phase etc...) every unit has a number of actions they can perform (if you're familiar with Warzone mechanics you get this). Units are activated alternately by players. Choices carry a greater weight. Do I activate the unit in danger first? If so, do I spend three actions shooting, do I try to move out of the line of fire? Do I assault? These are nested choices which we feel provide a far greater depth then having a single phase where every unit in the army opens fire like a ship's broadside. A ten sided die system lets us do a lot of things that can't be done with six sided systems. Open source miniature choices lets you model an army that's never been seen before and have it tournament legal.

It is easy to learn because its common sense. Every unit has actions they can perform. All squads act in a turn. Rinse and repeat. When and where to make given actions is what makes it challenging to master. Do I move? Do I shoot? We're looking forward to seeing all sorts of meta game being developed around our system.
    Zarathud said:

"What makes it different and better from the myriad other rule sets available?"

First and foremost what makes it better is us, Critical Snail. Our players have access to us 24/7. We fully intend to build an interactive community, take player feedback and incorporate it into iterations of the game. We've also built a system that allows players to submit their battle results and feedback about the game, we'll be using that data to stack rank our players, do cool contests, generate some cool metrics (most played faction, winning-est faction etc..) We will be running some campaigns that will actually mold and shape the fiction of the game's future plot and we'll be doing that based on real game results. We've laid the groundwork for our Vanguard program (a program not dissimilar from GW's old Outrider program if you're familiar with it). The Vanguard will be getting people involved, hyping the game, running tournaments, and helping store owners be successful with Aggressor. Down the road we have plans to run our own convention as well for a national tournament setting and painting contest.

The second reason is our approach to miniatures. We want you to use the miniature line that you want. Whether it is one that you currently own or one you've been wanting to buy but didn't because it was not something branded for the game you're currently playing. Critical Snail won't be launching our own line of miniatures, which frees us to make the most awesome game we can. For many reasons we'd love to have our own models, and currently we are building a network of independent sculptors that we will partner with to potentially see some branded Aggressor miniatures come to life but that is never something that will distract us from our primary goal. Make a good game with good mechanics and guts, that is fun to play, and supports competitive tournament play.
    Zarathud said:

"Sell me on why I should buy your 150 page, black and white rulebook instead on paying a little more for a full color Warzone rulebook or even $25 more for a Deadzone boxed set with miniatures and terrain included."

Buy Aggressor because you want to play a game that gives you a lot of tactical options, that doesn't insult your intelligence as a gamer by watering down rules, made by people that love wargaming and will be heavily supporting your purchase for a very long time, where you are free to use absolutely any miniature range your heart desires. Yes it is $40.00, and we don't shy away from that price point, there are cheaper games on the market but they won't play like Aggressor, and you won't have the same level of player support buying them, you definitely won't have the same number of faction options with most of them. This is no kick starter either. $40.00 gets you a complete game and if you have an army of minis from another game, you're off and playing the second the book shows up in your mailbox. This is not a promise to send you a game if we hit some magic funding level, this is the real deal. Long term, the money we make from Aggressor: Recon will be largely reinvested in the business to expand the rules, hire artists, launch a dedicated marketing campaign to get more players in the know among other things.
    Zarathud said:

"More info is definitely required if you want to sell your book. Even a PDF preview showing the table of contents and some sample pages would be helpful. Maybe send a comp copy to a respected reviewer so they can post a review somewhere. Good luck on promoting this."

The PDF preview is being built as I type. It will include enough rules to get started and some sample forces. A Battlescribe file is being built, and we're also building a web based army builder tool that will allow players to construct an army on their PC or Mac without having to have any app at all. We'll be taping a YouTube series where I teach my wife how to play Aggressor. Not only should it be entertaining but it will provide people with a view into army list building, rules, battle reports, and modeling that they aren't seeing today. We've sent out to date, three review copies thus far. We are hitting every blogger we find and asking them if they want to review. Know a blogger or even an aspiring blogger that wants to review a copy? Put us in touch!

If you have more questions, send them to us! We're ready and waiting to answer them.

Warmest welcome to Panhumanic space Zarathud! :smile:

And thank you for the feedback! We do take it constructively!
    Rob
    Lead Designer
    Critical Snail Studios
  • Heya guys!!! What mini ranges dos you have in mind for miniatures? And As for who I am,intros needed
  • Castro said:

Heya guys!!! What mini ranges dos you have in mind for miniatures? And As for who I am,intros needed

You can use absolutely any miniature range as long as the models are consistent in their design (armament etc). Has to be WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get).

There is a thread I posted in one other sections that has about 50 miniature websites or so. Also, I created a thread for your guys play group in the Groups / Tourneys section.

Rob
    Lead Designer
    Critical Snail Studios
  • There are about 4 different companies that stand out to me as being better than most for representing the human factions. Puppetswar, Anvil Industries, Mad Robot and Prodos (the guys who make Warzone). You can represent any of the human factions using these companies, and have them visually look as good as anything GW might make (better in most cases, IMO).
  • What is the company that makes those Eisenfaust future Germans?
    Rob
    Lead Designer
    Critical Snail Studios
  • That would be Dreamforge, I believe. Those are indeed very cool - they'd be my choice for Commonwealth, personally